Offers an exhilarating method of the most contentious matters in discussions round globalization—bioscientific study, neoliberalism, governance—from the point of view of the "anthropological" difficulties they pose; in different phrases, when it comes to their implications for a way person and collective lifestyles is topic to technological, political, and moral mirrored image and intervention.
- Offers a ground-breaking method of important debates approximately globalization with chapters written through top students from around the social sciences.
- Examines various phenomena that articulate large structural changes: technoscience, circuits of trade, structures of governance, and regimes of ethics or values.
- Investigates those phenomena from the viewpoint of the “anthropological” difficulties they pose.
- Covers a extensive diversity of geographical components: Africa, the center East, East and South Asia, North the USA, South the US, and Europe.
- Grapples with a few empirical difficulties of well known and educational curiosity — from the organ alternate, to accountancy, to pharmaceutical examine, to neoliberal reform.
Read Online or Download Global Assemblages: Technology, Politics, and Ethics as Anthropological Problems PDF
Similar Cultural books
Among the flip of the 20th century and the Brown v. Board of schooling selection in 1954, the best way that American colleges taught approximately "race" replaced dramatically. this variation was once engineered through the nation's such a lot favorite anthropologists, together with Franz Boas, Ruth Benedict, and Margaret Mead, in the course of global warfare II.
In keeping with years of fieldwork in either rural and concrete Greece, the final word explores women's cultural resistance as they weave jointly assorted social practices: improvised antiphonic laments, divinatory dreaming, the care and tending of olive timber and the lifeless, and the inscription of feelings and the senses on a panorama of individuals, issues, and locations.
Conjures up scholars to imagine like anthropologists in a multicultural and worldwide age. overlaying the basic innovations that force cultural anthropology this present day, Ken Guest’s Cultural Anthropology: A Toolkit for an international Age exhibits scholars that now, greater than ever, worldwide forces impact neighborhood tradition and that the instruments of cultural anthropology are necessary to residing in a world society.
Extra resources for Global Assemblages: Technology, Politics, and Ethics as Anthropological Problems